Wednesday 30 June 2010

Antigua, Guatemala



After two flights and an hour long car ride with a one eyed taxi driver, I´m now in Antigua. My hostel wasn´t great but I am now checked into a nice hotel (with hot water- this is real luxury!) and tonight I meet my group with whom I shall spend the next month exploring Central America. First impressions of Guatemala are friendly people, charming colonial buildings and rustic ruins. Antigua is a UNESCO site and its not hard to see why. Almost every street has a crumbling, antiquated old building on it that would have been impressive in its heyday, but for some reason has been left to ruin and is now covered in jungle vines and butterflies. The rainy season means that ´weeds´ such as calla and stargazer lillies are blooming everywhere, and the jungle is lush, green and complete with hairy insects, which I shall try my hardest to avoid.

So far during my explorations, I have found a lovely bakery that sells bread rolls with pockets of ham and cheese baked inside, which I have eaten many of already! Food here is good...I think I shall like Central America very much!