Thursday 23 September 2010

Amazing Angkor Wat!



Earlier this week, I crossed the border into Cambodia, and was instantly shocked at the poverty here. American dollars come out of the cashpoints and food is expensive compared with Vietnam and Laos, yet people are so much poorer. That said, everyone I meet has a great big smile on their face and is happy to meet tourists to show us their country.

Visiting Phnom Penh was a sobering experience; we investigated Tuol Sleng, a notorious school-turned-prison which housed many tortured prisoners before they were driven to the killing fields. Room upon room displayed photos of inmates who had committed no crime more serious than being educated, or in some cases, wearing glasses, which was taken to mean that you were educated.



After visiting the prison, we journeyed to the Killing Fields. Walking around the fields on such a sunny day, I could hardly imagine what took place there. The dirt path leading visitors around the mass graves was littered with remnants of clothing, fragments of bone and victims' teeth. Seeing where these atrocities had taken place and hearing stories of how soldiers smashed babies against trees to kill them in a cheaper method than using bullets was harrowing... Cambodians are not taught about the genocide at school and members of the Khymer Rouge still sit on the Government, which to me, seems incredibly wrong.



Having learnt about Cambodia's depressing history, it was time to visit Angkor Wat, something I had been looking forward to immensely. Ta Prohm was my favourite temple at the site. Some of you may know this as the temple used to film 'Tomb Raider'. Angkor Wat itself was impressive for its size, but Ta Prohm has the atmospheric advantage of trees growing out of the ruins, which are breathtaking. Bayon Temple is also worthy of a mention on 'Reedy's Roams': smiling faces adorn numerous walls of the temple, which was the last state temple to be built at the Angkor site.

Siem Reap (the town next to Angkor Wat), is known as a party town so for the past month I have been excited to find out if the town lives up to its reputation. Last night was earmarked for dancing and although initially I was disappointed that the bar seemed to be full of customers wanting a quiet drink, the atmosphere soon turned upside down and by the end, everyone was dancing with everyone else on tables and benches- brilliant fun!

It seems crazy to me that another section of my journey is coming to an end, as I return to Bangkok tomorrow. My plan for next week is to hit the islands but sadly I miss the full moon party, which happens tonight. I am starting to get nervous to go to Singapore/Malaysia as I am on my own (literally!). I am studiously planning potential things to see and do, so hopefully the only real worry I will have is whether my speech will hold up under the toughest pressure to date. As long as I take it slow and steady and do not avoid, that is all I can ask of myself.