Tuesday 28 September 2010

Same, same...but different

Yesterday I visited Khao Sok National Park, and normally I consider myself to be an adventurous type of girl: one who doesn't mind rain, insects or other such outdoorsy tribulations. Whatever nature has to throw at me, I can take.

I set off on a hike around the park to visit two waterfalls, and take in the scenery of some of the oldest trees in the world. Trundling along the path and listening to the sounds of the animals in the trees, I felt happy and content. The park was well sign posted, and although the scenery was not as beautiful as expected, I was just happy to be free of my old friend, Bangkok.

About an hour into the hike, I found the waterfalls...which actually were not waterfalls but rocks dumped in a river, creating a rapid effect. Dismayed, I turned around to walk back and found a manky dog with open sores on its tail, sitting next to me.

The dog seemed to appoint himself as my companion back through the park and despite trying speeding up, slowing down and eventually stopping to lose this thing, he was having none of it and I accepted that he was here to stay.

5 minutes later, the heavens opened and Thailand showed me what rainy season was all about. It literally bucketed down, so I quickened my pace and Boris, as I christened the dog, ran with me through puddles and across fallen bamboo leaves. Boris kept shaking himself free of water, which annoyed me slightly as I considered he may have leeches on his coat and I did not want them on me. I made sure to steer clear of him when he looked like he might shake.

Nearing the halfway point on the trail, I stopped when I heard a familiar noise from my old zoo living days. A family of monkeys were sitting overhead, sheltering from the rain. As I was drenched by this point, I thought nothing of stopping to admire them and watch as they took it in turns to shelter the others with leaves.

Suddenly, I felt something brush along my leg. I absentmindedly moved my hand over my shin to brush the leaf or mosquito away whilst keeping my eyes on the monkeys, but the invader was here to stay. Looking down, I saw the biggest leech I have ever seen in my life, on my leg. On my leg!! (Now, admittedly, I had never seen a leech before yesterday but it was 0.5cms wide and 3cms long, which I think is big).

I started screaming, shouting, Boris was barking and a lot of profanity was coming out of my mouth (sorry Nan), but I didn't know what to do to get this giant bloodsucker away from me. I swatted it and tried shaking it away but to no avail. In the end, I must have dazed it with my handbag because it attached itself to the leather and I was able to scrape it onto the floor and make my getaway.

I left the park after 2 more leech battles (neither as big as the original monster), and was glad to get to the jungle lodge; soaking wet and with manky Boris for company, but at least all of my original blood was intact.

I don't think I'm cut out for the jungle, which worries me for Borneo as that is 3 weeks of pure jungle living. I asked a local guide if Borneo has leeches and he responded in the typical South East Asian answer that I have come to know very well: "Borneo... hmmm, same same..but different".