Thursday 2 September 2010

Rolling on a River




This week saw me floating down the Mekong River from Thailand into Laos. The scenery was absolutely stunning but after two days in solely each others' company, the group had cabin fever. To break the monotony, we decided to play a joke on our tour leader, Shane, who was sleeping off a fervent hangover. Whilst he was dreaming, we drew a luigi-style moustache on his upper lip and whiskers on his cheeks in thick, black permanent marker. To add to the fun, we all decided to pretend that everything was normal until he realised for himself, which was really tricky as he looked so ridiculous and I frequently had to bite my cheek to stop myself from bursting out laughing.

Shortly after the escapade, lunch was called and Shane woke up bleary eyed. Throughout the meal, numerous photos were taken for 'posterity' and Shane was blissfully unaware of the mess on his face. He was also unaware during the afternoon stop off to the Pak Ou caves, an cavern system filled with Buddhas, despite a large number of locals and tourists laughing at him and miaowing when he walked past...

He only realised when the boat captain tried to clean his face as we disembarked, and although he saw the funny side, he vowed to get us back, so watch this space! I do not have a clear photo because every time I tried to take one, I started laughing and my whole upper body shook, which blurred the camera. Damn having no self control!

Last night we went for a traditional Laos meal in a local family home. They welcomed us by each family member tying white string around both of our wrists, and saying a prayer to wish us good luck and safe onward travels. The food was delicious, particularly the local 'chicken lap'- minced chicken with herbs and spices. I wasn't overly hungry as I had made a stop off to the local bakery earlier that day but I managed to squeeze a few spoonfuls in!

This morning the group went to a local reading project in Laos called 'Big Brother Mouse'. Many Lao children have never seen or read a book, which for me is completely alien as my mum is a librarian and we had a mini library in our family home. Helping local children with their pronounciation was so wonderful for me, especially when I think that 5 months ago I struggled to speak and now I am able to help others to say words as they are meant to be said. Another speaking challenge that reminds me how precious my speech is and how thankful I am that my Nan kept badgering me to do McGuire!