Friday 12 November 2010

Transport? Transport?

I am happy to report that Bali is sunny, cheap and serves very western food. Since my short-lived love affair with rice is firmly over, the third aspect of Bali's brilliance is very welcome indeed. The hotel is lovely and I have investigated getting to the Gilli Islands with Bobo on Tuesday so we do not waste any time. We are also going to do a one day tour on Monday around the island which includes seeing Ubud, the setting of 'That Damn Book' as locals refer to 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

There are numerous motorcycles running rampant along the roads (driven in equal measure by locals and Western surfers transporting their boards), and pavements are non existent. It's like being in Vietnam again, only worse as the drivers shout 'Transport! Transport!' as they pass you, (even when I am running along Kuta beach at night, when it is blatantly obvious my feet are my transport). I will feel safer here when Bobo arrives as I don't think they hassle women with men so much. It saddens me to say this because I am a firm believer in the world being open to all, but I must concede that there are places equality has not quite reached yet. Maybe I'll buy a ring to wear on my wedding finger for the final few weeks..