Thursday 21 October 2010

Things I miss...

I have been unwell this week with a stomach bug and therefore have had much time to consider things that I am now beginning to miss about home. With only six weeks left of my self imposed exile, the list below is not exhaustive, nor in any particular order:



My family and friends
Plugging electrical items straight into the socket
The pound sign on keyboards
Watching 4od
Straightening my hair
Cosmopolitan
Using makeup
Duvets
Builders Tea
Marks and Spencers
Closer Magazine (my guilty pleasure- the real life stories are genius!)
Proper Chips
Highcliffe Beach
Sleeping in a room on my own (as opposed to with up to 13 strangers. Some of whom snore/smell/are guilty of both)
Using a shower without flipflops on
Glasses of milk
Walking to work
Lunches at the Regency
Being cold
New songs on my iPod
Being able to listen to strangers conversations on the bus
Cheese
Elaine Page on Sundays
Beans on toast
X Factor
Powerplates and spinning
Access to the McGuire support list
Party Rings
Cadburys
Knowing what day it is
Glee
Having a working mobile phone
Drinking tap water
London Theatre
Consumer Rights
Baking
Not being charged to get my money out of ATM's
Pizza Express
Raspberries, strawberries and clotted cream
Getting library books out
Adventures
Queuing
Knowing how much things are without having to use mental arithmetic
Random facts with Lucy
Wearing jeans

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying travelling and love seeing sights that I had only ever dreamed about but sometimes you do just want your home comforts!



The other thing I noticed on Tuesday (when I was ill) was that whenever people spoke to me, I struggled to answer due to not doing a warm up (because being in any position other than flat on my back caused physical pain) and also feeling so rotten. I just don't understand how I managed to last 18 years not being able to communicate...seriously, how?! When I look back, I am genuinely bemused at how I managed to do everything I did (living in New York 3 times, living in the zoo, going to uni etc)- how did people understand me and what I was saying? I don't have my first day video with me but when I get home that's the first thing I want to watch with a cup of tea, to remember exactly how far I have come. Yes, ok, I might have turbulence now and then but speaking eloquently is relatively new to me and I'm very proud of how I've coped, especially in these past 5 months.

Even if I live to be 105, on my deathbed, I will still be astounded at how much better life is when you can speak!